Are YOU tuned in to what your body is telling you?
Are you also listening? or
Are you on the quick and fast track with NO time to listen?
I can’t seem to “get” this life lesson, despite the fact that it keeps repeating itself…I find that when I am in that “no time for this” mode that really, I get very little quality work done…I just keep on going until something makes me stop, right now, and reassess.
The universe quickly got my attention a couple of weeks ago when I fell and ended up with a head injury and concussion…my body simply hollered at me “HEY YOU! SLOW DOWN! and I mean RIGHT NOW!”. Of course my first thought while sitting with an ice pack on my head and Arnica under my tongue was “I don’t have time for this!” Sometimes, the body just will not be ignored. I realize in writing this that I’m giving away something that I shouldn’t. The “take care of your body” message is something I repeatedly talk with clients and dance students about and I guess I should add the old adage to do as I say not as I do.
So as I’ve been forced to sit back and take it easy for a little bit I came up with a list of under 5 minute Body Helpers. Little quick bandaids to help you stop and take a breath and tune in and listen…even if it’s only for 5 minutes.
- Counting & Naming. I listened to a Hay House broadcast by Colette Baron-Reid and she shared this fabulous little trick. When you’re stressed or your thoughts are scattered either start counting 1, 2, 3, 4, …. or start to name everything you have sight of, such as desk, computer, paper, pencil, paper weight, water glass… I tried these and was really amazed at how quickly my mind came fully into the present and was able to tune into here and now.
- Sit down on a chair and just breath…take 10 breaths, count them and then start at 1 again
- If you have the space try a couple of Yoga poses that bring you into awareness. My favourites are Downward Dog as it stretches my whole spine, and Child’s Pose.
- Stop and think for 5 minutes: “In this situation what would I say to another person that I’m not hearing myself?” You may find your 5 minute bandaid becomes an hour…if so then good for you!!
- Pull an affirmation card, breath and read it 5 times or click on a link to a website that shares daily affirmations such as:
Hay Houses’ Heal Your Life
Doreen Virtue’s Angel Therapy
Wayne Dyer’s Daily Inspiration
- Drink a glass of water
- Create a list of all the positive things about your body
These really are just bandaid treatments, the reality is that we do have to take some time tune in and listen to what our body is saying, well before it starts to yell. So during your 5 minute break pull out your calendar or appointment schedule and book yourself some time, within the week, for your body’s time…whether it’s putting on some music and dancing, stretching, going for a walk or flipping through some healthy recipes…it’s time that is needed.